I really thought I would be able to get more content up before the site switch, but I’ve been so taken up by working on the new blog design that I haven’t had time to, y’know, blog.
So here’s how it’s going to happen: some time in the next couple days, I’m going to shut down comments on this site. Sometime after that — and we’ll try for the same day but it might be a day or two later — the new site will be revealed (it’s currently locked as we tinker), and all comment traffic will be directed there: I’ll post here to let y’all know when that happens, and to remind you to switch feeds!
For those who procrastinate (like, um, yours truly), I’ll keep posting new blog content here as well (with comments closed!), but I’ll keep nagging you to switch to the new site, where all the action will be happening. (Glossary! All new About WFPP! And more!) After a few weeks of that, I’ll cease posting to this site at all, and it will wither and fade in the shadow of the new, brighter, better than ever www.RaisingMyBoychick.com
Good, me too.
For now, in lieu of content, I offer you links, teasers, and a request. First, links:
- Reader Turtle has started her own blog, at The Turtle and the Wren, and it is definitely worth a visit. Be sure to check out her responses to blue milk’s 10 Feminist Mother Questions.
- For those who think feminists focus too much on the conception end of reproductive rights issues, check out RH Reality Check‘s piece on Where’s the birth plan? about the need for CPM coverage in any USA national health care plan.
- The fabulous Renee of Womanist Musings has an interesting post up on Mommy Bloggers and sponsored content at the web magazine Global Comment. I’m of at least two minds on the issue, and I’d love to hear your thoughts over there.
- This is an amusing (to me, anyway) story: I got a fabulous new Twitter follower, Maria, who sent me a link (in sort-of reply to an old post of mine) to a great article she had written about kids and clothing, which I then “Re-tweeted”, at which point reader Hobo Mama was inspired to write this post, which also rocks, and is largely based on an article written by Maria’s mother. How’s that for twists of fate and the small world of teh intarwebz? Long story short: read them both, they’re fabulous and thinky.
- This isn’t a blog post, but a new Feminist Mums discussion community! The creators of Mothers For Women’s Lib bring us the MFWL parenting boards. Not that I need another web obsession, but I’ll definitely be there; will you join me?
- A reader and Twitter follower asked me to write a post on my thoughts and experiences with Elimination Communication, so I’ve been thinking about how to write such a piece as a parent who is out the other end (pun not intended!), and has no desire to proselytize or piss diapering parents off, but who really, truly thinks EC rocks. Can I manage it?
- New reader Maria wants to know when and how I knew I was ready to have kids, in terms of my mental illness. I don’t think I’ve written much about that story here, and I’ll give it a try.
- I have what I thought was three posts but realized is one even better post brewing on the topic of needs: in women (especially in labor), in babies, and in my own life. What is a need, anyway? I don’t know if I can answer that question, but I have some interesting thoughts on it at least.
- Finally, I really will write that post on babies and big boys I’ve been thinking about for a while, as the Boychick races from toddlerhood to what lays beyond, becoming ever more both capable and needy.
Any of that wet your metaphorical whistle?
Last, I come back to the new blog: I’m creating a glossary (the ability to do which is one of the big reasons I decided switching would be worth the hassle!), and have the prime suspects of cis, kyriarchy, and PIV, but I want to know: what words and terms and phrases do I use that have made you go “huh?” What do you want to see defined, as clearly and concisely as I am (not) able to?
And are there any other questions you’d like to take this opportunity to ask me? Anything you think I should address in an About Me or About Raising My Boychick that you haven’t seen answered yet? What would you want answered in a FAQ about this blog?
You can leave your thoughts in the comments, or email me at arwyn at raisingmyboychick dot com (new address! old one still works, but look! new! sparkly!).